LL-L "Language change" 2002.09.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 19 15:04:39 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Charles Keith Collins ckcollin at indiana.edu
Subject: LL-L "Categories" 2002.09.16 (05) [E]

My university email account doesn't seem like to like the idea of cut and
paste, so I hope this is not too confusing

> From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Pronouns
>
> Sorry, I can't answer this one, but I thought you
> might like to know that 'yours' in Cockney (and some
> Estuary) English can also be 'yourn' - i have the
> feeling that this is a contraction of 'your one' but
> there might be a more distant dialectal varient alive
> here as I don't recall ever hearing 'theirn', 'ourn'
> or 'hern' (hisn and itsn would just be ridiculous!),
> however it would fit in with 'mine' and (arch.)
> 'thine'. Any ideas?
>
> Gary

Thanks, Gary!  Actually, "his'n" is perfectly fine in App.  Also "her'n",
"your'n" and  "our'n" are used, but I've never heard "their'n" or "its'n"
either.

Here's an example:
"Is 'at your car?"
"No, it's his'n"

The first speaker could have used "your'n" but only of course in the
absence of "your car".

Another interesting word to me is "young'un" (youngin?).  This is used in
place of
"child" or "kid".  Just when I was thinking it was sad how the language
was waning, my 4 year old cousin asked of my absentee sister and her
boyfriend "When's 'em young'uns is comin' back?"  Maybe things aren't as
bad-off as I thought...

Much obliged,
Keith Collins