LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.19 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 19 20:22:09 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2002 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Resources"

> From: Nigel Smith <rnigelsmith at hotmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.18 (06) [E]
>
> Thanks for the explanation, which is very clear. I'm still not sure I
> agree with the distribution of non-English (i.e. Welsh) in Wales being
> coterminous with the modern-day border (especially since there is no
> indication of Cornish), but I appreciate that it is a difficult task to
> please everyone. As I said before, the map is a great addition to the
> website and very professionally realised. Congratulations to all those
> involved!

We discussed these very issues when Mathieu was doing the map,
but every possible solution raises other problems - perhaps not
for experts, but definitely for casual visitors. For example,
if we let English run along the south coast of Wales, this might
get visitors imagining that English is _not_ spoken in three-
quarters of Wales, which isn't true either.

We also spoke about doing more than one map, or using stripes
to show areas in which more than one language is spoken, but
this just makes the thing more difficult to those who are new
to the topic. Ultimately, the sweeping simplicity of the map
is no worse than any other presentation that could be squeezed
into a mere two dimensions, but it does have the advantage of
clarity. Experts can make their own mental adjustments!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

Please submit postings to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>. * Postings
will be displayed unedited in digest form. * Please display only the
relevant parts of quotes in your replies. * Commands for automated functions
(including "signoff lowlands-l") are   to be sent to
<listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at
<http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html>. * Please use only
Plain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other   type of format, in
your submissions