LL-L "Phonology" 2002.09.20 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 20 14:33:54 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: Afrikaans pronunciation

Lowlanders,

Help my, asseblief. The sources I have consulted on Afrikaans pronunciation
are in conflict ontwo points:

1. most say "oo" is pronounced as a pure long "o" - but some say it rhymes
with SE "moon" and the record I have of Sarie Marais - recorded by native
speakers sounds more like that to me in the chorus "daar woon my Sarie
Marais" etc.

2. some sources say "y" is pronounced like SE "ay" - others like the "i"
in  ice - so does rys rhyme with "race" or with "rice".?

I suspect that the conflict relates either to differing interpretations of
the same sounds which are somewhere "in between" the English sounds (pardon
the gross oversimplification - i do know better) or to dialect variation in
the actual sounds used, say between Capetown and Johannesberg?.

I haven't been able to locate any information on the phonetics of Afrikaans
dialects - only the statement that there are three main dialects - Cape,
Orange River and Eastern/standard, and that the "e" vowel approaches SE ae
as in "cat" in the Transvaal. Any enlightenment greatly appreciated.

baaie dankie (buy a donkey?) George Gibault

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

George,

I hear Afrikaans _oo_ as [u:@] or [U:@], i.e., a long /u/ sound (as in
English _moon_, or better German _Huhn_ (i.e., rounder), followed by a short
shwa, or the long vowel can be as in "put" but long, also followed by a
short schwa).

I am sure that Elsie and other will be able to give you more informed
descriptions.

Groetes,

Please submit postings to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>. * Postings
will be displayed unedited in digest form. * Please display only the
relevant parts of quotes in your replies. * Commands for automated functions
(including "signoff lowlands-l") are   to be sent to
<listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at
<http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html>. * Please use only
Plain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other   type of format, in
your submissions