LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.20 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 20 14:40:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.19 (04) [D]

While checking this map I noticed that some areas
which I would characterize as having dialects which
should be part of the Lowlandic languages are not
included, in particular the limburgian dialects of the
Lower Rhine area in Northrhine-Westphalia, Germany and
the Eupen-region in Belgium. According to the linguist
Frings (from Duelken in that area) the division
between Lower Franconian (which includes Dutch,
Limburgs and Vlaams)is a line that runs roughly from
present day Gummersbach, south of
Solingen-Duesseldorf-Neuss-Moenchengladbach-Erkelenz-Geilenkirchen-Uebach-Pa
lenberg,
then towards Heerlen, leaving out Kerkrade, Aachen and
suroundings but then including Eupen and surroundings.
The dialects north of this line have the character of
what is valid for Limburgian rather than of Ripurarian
which is spoken south of this line and includes the
dialect of the City of Cologne. I have texts written
in the dialects of that area which I can publish,
supposed I find the time to type them in.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Lowlanders,

For those of you who missed the announcement (and this includes quite a few
who just joined us), Helge is referring to a language map produced by
Mathieu van Woerkom.  You can find it on our homepage
(http://www.lowlands-l.net) under "Resources".

Please submit postings to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>. * Postings
will be displayed unedited in digest form. * Please display only the
relevant parts of quotes in your replies. * Commands for automated functions
(including "signoff lowlands-l") are   to be sent to
<listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at
<http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html>. * Please use only
Plain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other   type of format, in
your submissions