LL-L "Introductions" 2002.09.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 23 03:34:31 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: eybe.lennart at gmx.net <eybe.lennart at gmx.net>
Subject: Introductions

Hi, all,

let me do some introducing words about  myself, first.

Despite my swedish name (it's my father's one, but my German mom decided to
leave him when I was about 3 years old) I grew up in Germany, not far from
the city of Hamburg. I am an (amateurian) professional musician, bound to
translate our song textes from German (from their first idea) into English
and  Low Saxon (because of their better phonetical sound and better
"singability"). Exact at this moment I 'm starting  to learn that, what You
call "Scots"; it  even could be better for some textes of our genre ("Black
Metal") than all and everything we did hear in the past.

I did read many postings of  Your "Songs-"subject on my account, and I'm
happy to  know many of the Low German ones myself. It's great to see men and
women be interested in those things at those days! I didn't meet people like
You before!

Some discussions however seem to demand very special knowledges in language
matters, and sometimes You are using letters and hieroglyphes I've never
seen before. Is there any chance for me to get into this kind of stuff?

Best Regards

Eybe [Lennart]

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Moin, Eybe!

Welcome on behalf of the List, and "Hummel, Hummel!" from one Hamborger
Buttje to another!

It's great to know you are interested in the Lowlands languages and wish to
use them in your musical pursuits. Yes, we are a "peculiar" and rather
eclectic gathering of people from around the globe, and, yes, some of us are
even interested in children's ditties and in songs from times gone by, when
poor people (i.e., the majority) could afford no bands and instruments and
had to accompany their dances by their own singing and, out of sight of the
English-, Dutch- or German-speaking elite, would do so in the indigenous
languages.

As for things you do not understand and wish to understand in our exchanges,
please do not hesitate to ask.  I believe the "hieroglyphs" you mentioned
belong to the SAMPA script, a system for representing the International
Phonetic Alphabet in email format (US-ASCII range).  You will find it
explained here:

http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/x-sampa.htm
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/samprosa.htm

If you want to check what has been discussed on a certain certain topic
before now, please use the search engine in our archive
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html), making sure you
check the "substring" box (or else only headings will be searched).

Again, welcome, and friendly regards!