LL-L "Nomads" 2002.09.24 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 24 18:55:33 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.SEP.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Nomads" 2002.09.24 (02) [E]

In message <00d401c263de$7cfb51d0$1c0d5f80 at dental.washington.edu>,
Lowlands-L <admin at lowlands-l.net> writes

>I gather that he is, or
>was associated with what he calls 'water gypsies' who lived on boats in the
>South Wales area. I wondered if anyone knew anything about them, or their
>speech?

I suggest you contact the National Waterways Museum  (01452 318054 -
Llanthony Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester), who have huge archives
relating to the social history of the inland waterways of Britain.

On the Sindarin/Quenya = North Welsh point, with my 'archivist of the
Tolkien Society' hat on for a moment, it has struck me as rather sad
that there are no (officially published) Welsh translations.  Fans have
made compilations of the Ring Verse in numerous languages (including
Welsh), but I'd have to check if these included anything other than the
published languages for the Lowlands.  It might be a nice project for
the 50th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings (2004/5).

With best wishes to all,

Pat
(more hats than a milliners)
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Nomads

Pat,

Is there any web page with the texts and their various translations?

By the way, it was John M. Tait that you quoted above.

P.S.:
> (more hats than a milliners)
Join the club! I guess that's better than saying "more hats than a
hatter's".

Please submit postings to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>. * Postings
will be displayed unedited in digest form. * Please display only the
relevant parts of quotes in your replies. * Commands for automated functions
(including "signoff lowlands-l") are   to be sent to
<listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at
<http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html>. * Please use only
Plain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other   type of format, in
your submissions