LL-L "Festivals" 2002.09.25 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 25 16:49:54 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: Festivals/songs

We had a local festival in the Rahden area, Suenematen (please pardon
spellings).  It was much like Halloween with the difference that we hollowed
out a turnip called a Kuerbis, rather than a pumpkin, and carved out a
frightening face, put a lit candle in it and put it out.  We would also go
from house to house, singing a song.  It began "Suenematen, Gauematen--" but
I forgot how it went on, and we would get treats. This festival clearly has
the same origins as Halloween and probably goes back to when the area was
Keltic.  I have never met abyone from Germany who has heard of this
festival.  Was it a local festival,found only in the Rahden area?  Does
anyone know the song?

Another festival involved people dancing around a bonfire at night.  Couples
would then jump over the fire hand in hand. Something very similar is
described in Gerhard Herm's book, The Kelts.  In his version though, the
couples would have sex in the fields after jumping over the fire.  I don't
think anything like that took place in my area but who knows?

Tom