LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.25 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 25 23:32:58 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Roman Laryushkin <puka_2000 at mail.ru>
Subject: help needed

Dear Lorenzo,
According to you request of September 19 I give you this address:

www.sr.net/srnet/InfoSurinam/sranan.html

There you'll find English-Sranan and Sranan-English dictionaries, a couple
of common phrases in Sranan and maybe something more.

Best Regards,
Roman Laryushkin

----------

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: Sound Archives

Fellow Lowlanders,

Is anyone working on sound archives of our languages? I particularly think
that there are a number in danger of disappearing which should be at least
preserved on recording - for example Prussian platt dialects.  I understand
that there is a project to put a large collection of recorded Gaelic on the
net - this seems a wonderful idea - why can't we consider the same? As a
start, to have some common text which could be recorded in samples of each
Lowland dialect for comparative purposes - and which could be shared among
all interested persons.   I believe a potential market and fundraising
source exists among genealogical researchers. For example, I would love to
have recorded samples of the Mecklenburg Schwerin, Marienwerder (West
Prussian), Rotterdam Dutch and Leeuwarden Fries to go with my mother's
family tree.While there are not so many linguists, there are hundreds of
thousands doing family tree research who might be tapped in to for this to
become a viable project. Perhaps a lot of material already exists at
certain universities. What do people think?

best wishes George Gibault