LL-L "Mythology" 2002.09.27 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 27 22:46:26 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.SEP.2002 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Mythology"

> From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
> Subject: Submerged Dutch town legend
>
> Fellow Lowlanders,
>
> I remember when I was a teenager reading a lovely poem translated into
> English about a Dutch town which had been submerged and had become a sort
> of phantom apparition. There was a line about the church bell
> ringing under
> the sea. Has anyone got the original Dutch (or Fries?) poem, or prose
> versions of this legend? Thanks.

This story also occurs in Welsh legend as "The Drowning of
the Bottom Hundred", and the song "The Bells of Aberdovey"
refers to those ghostly bells ringing from beneath the sea.

The English version can be found at:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/wfb/wfb05.htm

This is one of my favourite stories of all time - I love the
cynical "people are incurably stupid" tone that runs through
the whole narrative!

A Welsh/English parallel text of the song is at:

http://www.contemplator.com/tunebook/wlshmidi/aberdovy.htm

although this doesn't seem to be much in accord with the
story - perhaps the original significance of the bells
has been lost from the song?

I haven't been able to find a Welsh-language version of
the story, although I would very much like to.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/