LL-L "Resources" 2003.04.10 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 10 16:39:39 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.APR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Clark Hapeman <egsidf at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.04.10 (02) [E]

There is a great site "aboot tha Scots leid;"

www.scotsonline.org or www.scots-online.org

I cannot remeber which it is.

Clark Hapeman

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Clark,

The website you are referring to above -- the correct one being
http://www.scots-online.org -- is that of Andy Eagle.  Andy has been on
Lowlands-L for several years and has been one of our major Scots resources
for us.

Andy's and other people's websites are listed under "Links" on our homepage:
http://www.lowlands-l.net

Other major Scots resources of Lowlands-L subscribers (all of which have
been with us for several years):

Sandy Fleming: http://scotstext.org/
Ian Parsley: http://www.geocities.com/parsleyij/ullans_intro.html
John M. Tait: http://www.wirhoose.co.uk/
Colin Wilson: http://www.btinternet.com/~lcwilson/colin.htm

Some Scots-related material (among many other things) is provided in Danish
and English by our own Ole Stig Andersen: http://www.olestig.dk/  This
includes a recording of Ole Stig's excellent radio report (with snippets of
Colin Wilson talking) on Gaelic and Scots for those of you who understand
Danish.

Links to sites in and about other Lowlands language varieties can be found
at the same site.  Lists of books, tapes and other offline material can be
found under "Offline Material" at our website.  Some of these materials have
been published by Lowlands-L subscribers.

For those interested in Scots, the first ever Scots textbook (with CDs) by
our own Colin Wilson:

Wilson, L. Colin (2002): _The Luath Scots Language Learner_, ISBN 0 946487
91 X, with CDs (ISBN 1 84282 026 5 CD RRP); Edinburgh (Scotland): Luath
Press (http://www.luath.co.uk/).

For those of you interested in Lowlands Saxon (Low German), there are online
and offline resource lists as well.  Those with a specific interest in the
Mennonite varieties want to take note of the books by our own Reuben Epp:

Epp, Reuben (1993); _The Story of Low German & Plautdietsch: tracing a
language across the globe_; Hillsboro (USA): The Reader's Press
(psdirect at southwind.net). (Contains an excellent introduction to the history
and spread of the language, in English)

Epp, Reuben (1996); _The Spelling of Low German & Plautdietsch: toward am
official Plautdietsch orthography_; Hillsboro (USA): The Reader's Press
(psdirect at southwind.net). (in English)

Epp, Reuben (1997); _Dit un jant opp Plautdietsch_ (This and That in
Mennonite Low German); Hillsboro (USA): The Reader's Press
(psdirect at southwind.net); ISBN 0-9638494-2-5; US $9.95.