LL-L "Origins" 2003.04.11 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 11 15:11:38 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.APR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jari at delphisexpress.com <jari at delphisexpress.com>
Subject: English dominance among the posters

Hi!

A very interesting thing has happened here. We rarely hear any comments on
anything but English. This phenomenon was discussed by some poster some time
back, but it is starting take place among the posters themselves.

A few days ago I posted two questions on Afrikaans:

1) What is the background of the word "dalk"? I can't derive it from Dutch.

2) What is the background of the double "nie" construction in Afrikaans?

I wrote my questions in Dutch, which should not have been an insurmountable
problem for anyone who could have answered my questions on Afrikaans, but is
it
possible that everyone who has any interest in any other language than
English
has left this group, which is what happened to me shortly after I had joined
it?

Peace,

Jari Nousiainen, Finland

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Origins

Hi, Jari, Lowlanders!

This is a temporary, transitional subject line, because the request contains
two subjects that must be responded to under separate topic titles: 1)
"Etymology" and 2) "Syntax".  Please separate your responses accordingly.  I
didn't want to bug Jari with it, because he is a newby, but he and other
newbies please remember to read the rules
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm) one of which pertains to keeping
subjects separate.

Cheers!