LL-L "Syntax" 2003.04.11 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 11 17:30:51 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.APR.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2003.04.11 (03) [E]

08:11 11-4-2003 -0700, Jari Nousiainen <jari at delphisexpress.com>:
>2) What is the background of the double "nie" construction in
Afrikaans?

I don't know. Two suggestions:
- I think Middle Dutch had a double negative: en ... niet.
- Influence from French? Many Afrikaners of Dutch decent were
Hugenots, originally from France.

BTW French ne ... pas, ne ... que, ne personne originally were not
double negatives, but "negated positives". Literal meaning: not a
... pace/step, not ... except when, not a ... person. Personne still
means "nobody", but also "person" in French.
--
Ruud Harmsen  http://rudhar.com/ - update 15 maart 2003