LL-L "Resources" 2003.04.16 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 16 18:52:17 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.APR.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Below is some feedback regarding our web pages, the first one referring to
the Appalachian version of our welcoming page (http://www.lowlands-l.net)
and the second one referring to "Lowlands Talk"
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/, with which we could do with some more
help).  It's nice to see that some people bother to respond.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L
http://www.lowlands-l.net

***

From: Wilson, Stuart <520083054858-0001 at t-online.de>
Subject: Lowlands-Listserve

Mr. Richard Turner should be congratulated for his accurate translation of
the Appalachian language.  It read like music to my ears (my parents being
born and raised in Yancey County, NC).  Mr. Turner, you even added "hit" for
"it" at the appropriate stress in the sentence.  Excellent!

Stuart Wilson
Frankfurt, Germany

***

What i miss on this site is a reference to "het west-fries", a dutch
language spoken in a part of North-Holland (= the province of the
Netherlands in which Amsterdam is located) Or to be more precisely: within
the area surrounded by a dam named "Westfriese omringdijk".

For more information of the area see: http://home.wanadoo.nl/omringdijk/ or
http://www.westfriesgenootschap.nl/
http://www.west-friesland.com/

To give you an idea of the status of this language: 1. there is a dictionary
of the westfries (written by the late professor Jan Pannekeet who dedicated
a lot of time to the success of promoting Westfries as a language).
2. read : http://members.chello.nl/e.hoekstra8/64IPPWestfries.html (a.o.
description of the differences with other Lowlands language-groups)

To see examples of the westfries:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/252fb/
http://www.geocities.com/skepping/Skepping.html
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/cj.schouten38/page0007.html
http://213.84.248.151/Gulden/gedicht.htm
http://www.kistemaker.nl/ls/lsfram.htm?ls07
http://www.webbies.nl/noordholland/hoorn/wervershoof/de_snoek.htm
http://www.westfriesgenootschap.nl/creatief/creatief.html
or even:
http://www.zaannet.nl/taal.htm (The Zaanstreek is located next tot
Westfrieslad, therefore the "Zaans" is a dialect which resembles Westfries)

Webmaster I hope this is enough to persuade you to add WestFries to your
site (and we're not offended when placed under Dutch)