LL-L "Etymology" 2003.04.17 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 17 14:45:50 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.APR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Etymology"

On a recent expedition to the goth Mecca of the UK (ie Whitby,
Yorks.), I was saying to a goth from Sheffield that I might go
down and see Scarborough. She replied that "Scarborough is very
chava."

Apparently this means that the place is very non-goth, there
is nothing to be seen that's of interest to goths, and the
tourists there will stand and stare at us.

Anyway, this word "chava" sounds as if it might be a borrowing
from one of the many lesser languages of the UK. It seems that
this particular usage it's only current in the Sheffield area.
I spoke to a total of three Sheffield goths, all of whom use
the word but none of whom know where it comes from.

Can anybody suggest which language the word came from, and what
it originally meant in that language (surely not "non-goth"!)?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Sandy.

My first hunch was that this "chava" could have been introduced from Romany
or Polari, but searches yielded nothing promising.

How about Gaelic _teamhaidh_ 'pleasant', 'nice', then?

One thing's for sure: it ain't no Gothic.

Cheers!