LL-L "Folklore" 2003.04.21 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 21 17:58:30 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.APR.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject:  "Etymology??" new subject: stealing milk from goats

>From wim verdoold , wkv at home.nl   zwolle city nl.

Hi!

As our daughters name is Merel, we been wondering about the different
names for that bird, ( Blackbird, Amsel, Merula, Gieteling, Goatfowl,)

In Zwolle city it is called a "gieteling", again connecting it to goats,
and the stealing of goat milk.

Now comes the thing I wonder about... Where does this story about
animals stealing goat milk from...  this is an old story, and I noticed
that it is not only connected to the blackbird.
Any body can add to the confusion??

I wonder how old the story about strange things in the night stealing
the goat milk really is, I suspect very old.

Happy Easter! Vrolijk Pasen!

Wim.

www.geocities.com/velikovski_project/

www.geocities.com/merelweb/