LL-L "Phonology" 2003.04.24 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 20:52:36 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.APR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Ruud Harmsen" <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.04.24 (02) [E]

12:20 24-4-2003 -0700, "Gary Taylor" <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>:
>I have a question regarding the pronunciation of l
>when it occurs after a vowel and before a consonant or
>a pause in Lowlands languages. In Standard British
>English, l has two distinct pronunciations
>(allophones). When it occurs in the position mentioned
>above it is a 'dark-l' (velarised), otherwise it's a
>'clear-l'. In North American and Australian Englishes
>the l tends to be (slightly) dark in all positions,
>whereas in North England, Ireland (and I'm presuming
>Scots - although I'm not sure -

In Scotland the l is dark in all positions.

>I'd also be
>interested in phonetic descriptions of l in Dutch,

In Dutch, the distribution of clear and dark l is the same as in
British "standard" English: clear before a vowel, dark elsewhere.
Exceptions: always clear in many parts of Belgium. Always dark in
people with an Amsterdam accent.
--
Ruud Harmsen  http://rudhar.com/index/whatsnew.htm  23 april 2003

----------

From: "Daniel Ryan Prohaska" <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>

Gary Taylor gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com wrote:

>>I have a question regarding the pronunciation of l
when it occurs after a vowel and before a consonant or
a pause in Lowlands languages.<<

>>whereas in North England, Ireland (and I'm presuming
Scots - although I'm not sure - I'd like confirmation)
l tends to be clear in all positions.<<

I speak English with a Northern English accent and my post-vocalic and
pre-consonantal /l/s are all dark, however, never vocalised. I associate
vocalised /l/ with the south, the south-east in particular, though I
know of peculiar /l/ realisations in the Bristol area, the nature of
which is not quite clear to me. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I always
thought the "Bristol-/l/" is a hypercorrection for vocalised /l/.

I am also under the impression that I've heard very dark /l/s in Scots
and Scottish English.

Ireland seems to have both /l/s but in some surprising environments.
I've often heard a bright /l/ where one would expect a dark /l/ in RP.
Maybe someone can clarify this as well.

Greetings,
Dan