LL-L "Language learning" 2003.04.28 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 21:12:14 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.APR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: William Parker <William.Parker at three.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2003.04.25

Ron

Re Stephanie's query

Regarding Afrikaans the best resources I am aware of are as follows:

On line

General material in / about Afrikaans "taal" http://www.dieknoop.co.za -
and
there are many links out from here

For a "contemporary" monthly e-broadsheet in Afrikaans produced jointly
here
in the UK / SA  go to http://www.e-klets.com.  You should also be aware
of
the Canadian "Kanafees" {Afrikaanse taal en kultuur (musiek,, etc} fees}
planned for later this year in Calgary(?).

Offline

The Routledge book prepared by Bruce Donaldson - Prof of German  / Dutch
/
Afrikaans at Melbourne Uni - is probably the best starting point if you
have
no prior knowledge of the language or related languages. This does
include a
CD / Audio cassettes with dialogues in Afrikaans by native speakers so
that
some approximation to SA speech is possible.  You should be able to get
this
in Canada or try any of your on line bookshops.  The book does have
links to
some additional on line learning resources.  Prof Donaldson has also
produced a similar book for Dutch.

http://www.routledge.co.uk

"Colloquial Afrikaans"
ISBN:  0415206723
Pub Date:  20 APR 2000
Type:  Paperback Book + CD / Audio cassettes

The existing material - mainly the old standby "Teach Yourself
[Afrikaans]"
by Helena Schalwyck is somewhat out of date (1974) and (personally
speaking)
not appropriate or suitable except as a very basic starter. As an
additional
resource you may be able to pick up used copies at a reasonable in
second
hand shops.

William Parker

> hi, my name's Stephanie and I'm from Alberta, Canada. I am very interested
in learning Afrikaans and am planning a trip to Suid-Afrika for next
year.
So learning a bit of Afrikaans will be very helpful indeed! If anyone
out
there can help at all it would be great!!! Thanks so much for your
help!!

[Stephanie Pall]