LL-L "Names" 2003.04.28 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 21:14:42 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.APR.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From:  burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.04.21 (05) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Names
>
> I wrote:
>
>> _Dege tau_ ~ _dege to_ (modern _deegt/deger(n) tau/to_ "hard to")
>> could
> have
>> occurred in phrases such as _Lang (man) dege to!_ 'Helps yourself
>> (liberally/unabashedly (to food))!', _Se schirrwarkt dege to_ 'She
>> works
>> hard doing her chores', or just _Dege to!_ (modern _Nu man deger(n)
>> to!_)
>> 'Go at it!', "Give it all you have!'  (much like Japanese
>> _ganbatte!_).  I
>> can well imagine that this could have been used as a nickname for
>> someone
>> who was known as a hard worker or eater, and nicknames often ended up
>> becoming surnames.
>
> ¡Hola, Jorge!
>
> Why didn’t I think of this earlier?  As an exclamation, _Dege tau!_ ~
> _Dege
> to!_ (like contemporary _(Nu) Maal (deger(n)) tau/to!_) tends to
> correspond
> to Spanish _¡Ándale!_.
>
> The adjective/adverb _degern_ seems to suggest that at one time there
> was a
> verb *_deger(e)n_ (infinitive *_deege-r-en_, participial
> *_deeg-er-en-d_ >
> modern adjectival/adverbial _degern_).  I wonder if this *_deege_ is
> related
> to Dutch _degelijk_ and Afrikaans _deeglik_ 'sound', 'substantial',
> 'thorough', 'upright (in character)', 'upstanding', 'of good quality'.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Hi Ron,

I know a word in V: " toeduigen (toedugen/toeduwen) doog toe,
toegedogen",  which means  to push together, or to close, to shut.
Could that have anything to do with it ?
I also think of an expression i use: Duik toe (dive in it = make
yourself comfortable and start  with it).
Just thinking,

Groetjes
luc Vanbrabant
Oekene