LL-L "Folklore" 2003.04.28 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 21:57:14 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.APR.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "luc.hellinckx at pandora.be" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Folklore

Beste liëglanners,

Regarding the stick like gable-marking, called "mal(le)jan" in Eastern
Friesland, I would like to add that a _mallejan_ in Dutch denotes a
timber wagon.

In Brabantish this cart is called _nen öjts_, and professional loggers
are thus called _öjtsers_. I've never been able to find a decent
etymology for this word btw. If I remember well, Kiliaan (16th century)
has something along the lines of _(h)urts_, but I can't check that out
right now.

On a side-note, very interesting Ron what you mentioned about the common
ancestry of Eurasians and Native Americans. This reminds me of what I
experienced while I was cycling in Qinghai province (Tibetan culture)
eleven years ago. Farmers working in the fields were "shouting" at me in
order to draw my attention but the way they were doing this was
reminiscent of all those Western movies that I had seen as a kid in
which Native Americans rhythmically slapped their mouths while making a
howling sound. It sounded just like that, and they made exactly the same
movements with their hands. I'm quite sure this was not due to their
tv-watching habits, as back then there was hardly a tv in those remote
villages, and if there was one, such movies were not on view.

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

From: "Reuben Epp" <repp at silk.net>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2003.04.27 (06) [E]

Although I am not well-grounded in the Low Saxon tradition of
crossed horse's heads, in several configurations, mounted on the
gable ends of many Low Saxon houses, I find the following
interesting URL (in German)  to be informative on the subject:

http://www.ehrhorn-nol.de/haus/pferdeko.html

Reuben Epp