LL-L "Traditions" 2003.04.28 (09) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 22:06:14 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.APR.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From:  "Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2003.02.19 (14) [LS]

Moin, Ron, Leeg- un' Lowlanners,

ick schreev (English below):

> From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
> Subject: Folklore
>
> Moin, Leeglanners un' Frees'n,
>
> von Doog stünn inne Zeitung, in Noord-Freesland schall koom'sten Freidag,
> dennen 21. Feberoor, dat graute
>
>                                                    "Biikebrennen"
>
> lausgohn.
>
> Door waard, ass ikk datt begriepen dauh, graute Füüern mookt, Holthümpels
> ("Biiken"?) anbööt, un' de Frees'n un' jemme "Touries" danzt, singt un'
> drinkt doorbii.
> Wii mookt dat sülbicht'- mann, an'n Austern.
>
> Dücht mii 'n aulet (pre-christianic?) Brookdoom tau ween, fallt opp: inne
> "kalendaar'sche" Neicht von Fasching.
>
> Woneer un' woans is datt sau verscheed'n wonnen tüschen Sassen un'
Freesen?

> Gifft dat sauwatt ook in Oost- or in Westfreesland?

Von Doog heff'ck mit miin tachentig Joorn aule Moddern snack, un' opp 'n
Taufall köömen wi weller opp dissen Themen.

Sei haar jümmers 'n Faible föör de Frees'n un' vertell mi, watt sei
över
datt "Biikebrennen" wüss':

Jümmer ümm dennen 23. Fever (Modder eern Boortsdag), an dennen eirsten
Dach,
wenn de Lüüd tau 'n Teetiid (17:00 MEZ) keein Talglicht meihr anmooken
müssen, sünnt de (UG) "Walfisch-Fänger" mit jemme Scheep uutloopen,
un'
jemme Frowenslüüd und Kinner hefft düchdige Füüern (Biike = Baake=
Seezeichen?) mookt, jemm' tau'n Affscheed.

Dütt Bruukdoom is ne uut Germaansche Tieden, dücht mi, mann recht watt
jünger (Cent. 17?).

Allerbest Greutens

Fiete.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

English attempt:

Hi, Lowlanders, Frisians,

a good time ago I wrote:

Today's newspaper:

at Friday, Febr., 21st, in Northern Friesland there shall happen the
great
event of the so called

"Biikebrennen".

As  far as I understood people will burn up large heaps of wood, and the
native Frisians and their tourists will dance, sing and drink around.

I guess it to be a pre-christianic custom, perhaps near to carnival.

Why did Frisian and Saxonian folklore/customs divorce?  Are there
similar
customs in Western/Eastern Friesland?

Today I talked with my 80 years old mother, and she tought me
"passavant"
about this theme.

She all her life had been a fan for Frisian traditions, and told me what
she
knew about this Frisian "Biikebrennen".

Always round the day of Febr., 23d (her birthday) , around the day, when
people in Northern Friesland could, for the first time after a dark
winter,
drink their tea (at 17:00 MEZ) without a candle light, the
"Whale-Hunters"
left their home harbours with their ships. Their wifes and children made
big
fires to accompany their leaving. ("Biike" = "Baake" = "naval sign "?)

It seems no Germanic, but very much younger tradition (Cent. 17th?).

Very best regards

Fiete.