LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.08.01 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 1 16:07:13 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.AUG.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Another month is behind us ... Time flies.  It's time for another
administrative message.

We have been joined by a number of people from various parts of the world.
I bid them all welcome on behalf of the entire List.  Below, at the end,
please find a list of their places of residence.  It is very pleasing to see
that lately we have been experiencing a sharp increase in subscriptions from
Asia and Latin America, mostly from Southern Asia (Pakistan and India),
Southeastern Asia (Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia) and from Brazil.  A very
friendly hello to our Lowlanders in those regions.  It is also delightful to
know that beginning this year there are subscribers in "new" countries, such
as Jordan, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Nigeria, Philippines and Serbia.
Special greetings to all of them.

It is important that all of you -- not only the new Lowlanders -- be
familiar with our rules and guidelines: http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm.
They are available in English, Dutch, Limburgish, Lowlands Saxon (Low
German), Russian and German.  Two of the rules most violated lately are the
following:

***

Edit quotes
When you reply to what someone else has written, don't just hit the reply
button and write your reply before or after the quoted text. Edit out
whatever is not essential, most definitely the Lowlands-L masthead and
footer. (They are going to stay, for good reasons.) Also, don't do what some
do: they follow this rule nicely until they run out of things to say, and
then they let the rest of the quoted text dangle behind their "signature."
Give credit
Don't forget to say who the writer of the text is to which you are
responding. (When you hit the reply button your system most likely credits
the administrator or "Lowlands-L," the sender, even if they did not write
it.)

***

In order not to have to edit anything one or two of you do not quote at all
and do not mention the authors of the postings to which they respond.  As a
result, some of their responses make no sense to the reader; you do not know
to what and whom they are responding, thus do not understand what their
yourselves if your responses make sense.

Here is a technical matter worth mentioning.  Here on campus there has been
a fair bit of computer drama lately, fortunately not involving me directly.
Apparently, there are some security flaws in some Microsoft Windows versions
(NT 4.0, 2000, XP and Server 2003, I believe) that allow and have allowed
people to hack into your system and cause all sorts of mischieve.  Microsoft
has made security patches available for downloading.  If you have not
already done so, please download and install them as soon as possible.

More information, and instructions:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/

Best wishes,
Reinhard/Ron

*****

Recent Subscriptions -- Places of Residence:
   Australia:
      New South Wales:
         Newcastle [1]
   Brazil: