LL-L "Language survival" 2003.08.02 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Aug 2 22:48:16 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.AUG.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2003.08.01 (06) [E/LS]

Moin, Mike, and all of You,

(English below)

Du schreevst vondoog:

> From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
> Heinrich Becker wrote:
>
> >. All, "we
> > Lowlanders" can contribute is, to keep the recollection for those who
> > might be interested in the generations coming up.
>
> Am I allowed to disagree?
> I know that this opinion is shared by most Lowlanders,
> including by Ron.
> I strongly feel this is NOT all we can do.
> Who seconds that?
>
> Mike Wintzer

Ick bünn joo meihr op de Siit von Hein Becker, man- güssern Oobend kreeich'
'ck watt foot, dat geeiv un' givvt mi tau denken un' meist 'n Stück Hööp.

Miin' 17joorige Söön, tau Besöök inne Ferien (leevt anners bii siin Modder
inne Neeicht von Hannauber, hett recht ennig Gefööl föör Sprooken) woor dat
wiis, watt ick mit miinen Jüngsten (8) meist elke Dag Platt proten dau.

Hei woor meist 'n beeten dooloorig, ass hei dat seih'n deei, wo gaud de
Lüttje dat all kunn, un' fröög me, watt ick datt woll ook mit em mooken
kunn.

Nu- seggen un' mooken wöör eein Deeil, un' ick müss' mii wunnern, wo gaut de
Jungkeeirl dat oppe Reigh kriegen deeih!

Wi hefft nu' beslooten, watt ick mit em sau veel as meuglich opp Platt
snacken schall- bii' t Telefoneern un' natöörlick, wenn hei bii Vaddern is.

De plattdüütsche Welt schöllt wi door woll ne mit ännern, man- viillicht
hett hei eeins gauden Doogs gänzlich dennen Maut, sülbst Platt tau snacken,
ook wenn hei üm siin Untaulänglichkeeit weeit.

Hei mutt joo ne 'liiek mit R. Hohn opp LL-L curreer'n -:)!

=============
(English)

Normally I use to find my place more at the side of Heinrich Becker, but-
yesterday evening something happened to give me some hope and something to
think about.

My 17 years old son, spending his vacancies here (normally living with his
mother near Hanover, having some feeling for languages)realized that I use
to talk Low Saxon to my youngest (8) nearly each day.

He even seemed to become a little sad and asked me to do the same with him.

We started [our first lesson] at once, and I had to wonder about him, how
fast and skillfully youngguy caught it on.

We decided, that I should talk in Low Saxon with him as much as possible- on
the phone and, of course, when he is with his dad.

We won't change the Lowlandic world- but maybe there will come the day when
he has got the courage even to talk in this language, in full conscious of
his not-being perfect.

He is not forced to have discussions with R. Hahn on LL-L during his early
studies- isn't he -:) ?

Greutens/Regards

Fiete.

Not Lucifer I fear,