LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.08.02 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Aug 2 22:53:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.AUG.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.07.30 (05) [E] / LL-L "Resources"
2003.07.30 (02) [E]

Quote (Gustaaf Van Moorsel) :
On my rare visits back to the Netherlands I find that a certain  sloppyness
in pronunciation is gaining ground, with faint tinges of Amsterdam and
Utrecht accents.

About this 'distinct Utrecht accent', do you mean the city of Utrecht or the
province?  In the latter it will vary from village to village, won't it?
(recently found a website about the language in these regions, stored it
'somewhere').  And yes, I now remember that they told us that in Haarlem
they spoke the best / purest Dutch.  So, that may well be the case.  Anyway,
ABN was only one of the local languages, which then was adopted as the main
language.  I believe that this was because they used it for the first Dutch
Bible translation (Statenvertaling, 1618 & 1619); so it became sort of the
officially recongised language variety, through that.

Groeten,
Jannie Lawn