LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.08.07 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 7 16:14:55 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.AUG.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

नमस्ते
Would the person who recently joined us from Nepal be so kind as to write to
me (lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net) and give me his/her city and province again.
For some strange reason I have lost the information you kindly provided when
you applied for subscription.  Sorry about that, and thanks for helping.  If
I am not mistaken you are the first subscriber from Nepal.  It's great to be
able to welcome you.  In fact, here is a special hello to all our friends in
Southern and Central Asia.  We are pleased you found your way to our little
corner of the cyberworld, even from so close to the Roof of the World and
from the vast Eurasian steppes.

Lowlanders, it is important that all of you familiarize yourselves with and
follow the rules, at least the basic ones.  You will find them here:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules

Here are some basic requests that some of you keep ignoring:

(1) Please do not respond to someone's posting without any reference to who
that person is and what they said.  Before or after your response, please
put their name (not default "Lowlands-L") and the bit to which you are
responsing .  If you omit the reference, chances are nobody understands to
whom and what you are referring and what it is you are saying.  If you
simply hit the reply button and have an entire LL-L issue dangle behind your
submission, I will mercilessly delete everything behind the end of your
response.

(2) Please provide your first and last names, or given and family names (to
be culturally more neutral).  They do not necessarily have to be next to
each other, but both must appear somewhere in your posting.  Anonymous and
semi-anonymous submissions will be ignored.  If in your cultures you have no
family names, patronyms or matronyms (such as most of our Mongolian and some
of our Central Asian Turkic friends) I will be aware of that and will make
allowances for it.

(3) Please keep "threads" (topics) separate.

(4) In your responses, please stick to the given topic titles, even if you
feel that your response may change a title.  For instance, if you thank
someone for information they gave you under the subject line "Language
varieties," please do not change the subject line to something like "Thanks"
but stick to "Language varieties."  This greatly facilitates sorting and
editing at this end.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and enthusiasm, and let's keep
Lowlands-L rolling!

Yours,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L