LL-L "Etymology" 2003.08.07 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 7 16:47:23 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.AUG.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Subject: "Etymology"]

> From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.08.04 (02) [E]
>
> Moin, moin, Andrys,
>
> You wrote:
>
> > From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
> > Subject: Resources
> >
> > Is the Moin Moin a single instance or does nedersassich have more such
> > repetitions?
>
> and Ron:
>
> >I can only think of _Jaja!_ and _Neenee!_, repititions of _ja_ 'yes' and
> >_nee_ 'no'.
>
> Could the *Moin Moin* be a derivation of (LS): "Moi'n Monnen", (E): "Good
> morning"?
> As far as I know it spread over to many Low-Saxon-areas (and also is used
in
> Upper German there)from the regions of North- and Eastern Frisia, just a
few
> 10 or 15 years ago.
>
> Greutens/regards
>
> Fiete.
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Fiete,
>
> While I think you are quite right about the geographic origin and spread
of
> _Moin (moin)_, I seriously doubt that Lowlands Saxon (Low German) _Morgen_
> 'morning', which has the known dialectal variants _Mor(r)n_ and _Moorn_
(and
> Missingsch _Morng_), developed into _Moin_.
> My theory is that "_Morgen_ > _Moin_" is a folk etymology developed in
> regions to which the greeting _Moin!_ had spread but in which the
> adjective/adverb _moi_ (~ _mooi_) 'nice(ly)', 'pleasant(ly)', etc., is not
> part of the native lexicon.  As far as I am aware, nobody would ever say
> things like *_Dat is al Moin_ instead of _Dat is al Morgen_ 'It's morning
> already.'
>
> I am pretty sure that _Moin_ came from _('n) moien (Dag/Morgen/Avend)!_
> '([Have] a) pleasant (day/morging/evening)', and that the doubling is a
> northwestern (probably East Frisian or Emsland) feature.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Hello all !
There have been different theories discussed about the origin of "moin" and
none of them is undoubted. Let us believe it was derived from "mōj" = fine,
pretty !
In Eastern Friesland where "moin" is the standard greeting for every time of
day (and doubling - easier than stressing this word - means a proof of
kindness) the word for "morning" is "mör(ge)n" which could never be changed
into "moin" following the EFLS phonological rules.
In fact "moin" is misinterpreted often as a shortened "Guten Morgen" by
people from more southern areas of Germany where "Morgen" is spoken somewhat
like "mojen".
Regards
Holger