LL-L "Folklore" 2003.08.09 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 10 04:41:27 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.AUG.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2003.08.09 (03) [E/LS/German/Chinese]

Ron,

You wrote:
> Can any of you think of and are willing to share interesting Lowlands
> cuckoo
> folklore and verse, especially with reference to the bird’s “naughty”
> side?

Sorry- no LS-song, just a little idiom:

(LS): "Wenn de Kuckuck röppt, köön't wii dennen Schinken ansniiden"
(E) : "When the cuckoo is singing we may cut [the first slice from] the ham"

(because it is ripe then, had been hanging in the smoke for enough
time)

As You can find in Your nice English song, there is not much about the
"naughty" cuckoo- people in more northerly regions loved him as THAT bird
announcing the summer, because it (she in the song???) is the latest to come
from and the first to go back to Africa.

There is a nice song in UG, with a cuckoo on a tree, shot be a young hunter,
but in the following year it appears back....

Regards

Fiete.

(Friedrich W. Neumann)
Not Lucifer I fear,