LL-L "Etymology" 2003.08.10 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 11 03:51:15 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.AUG.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Subject: "Phonology"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Phonology
>
> Thanks, Holger.  Very interesting.  I'll have to digest the material bit
by
> bit, like you, don't have time for the details right now.
>
> Generally speaking, I am on the same page with you and have made similar
> observations regarding other Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects.  Before
> we delve into the nitty-gritty of things, I wonder if you would reconsider
> vowel length on the basis of only two phonemic lengths: short and long,
and
> all other lengths being phonologically direved, i.e., allophonic.

Hello Ron !
I have considered the matter and didn't find a last answer. It seems to me
that the facts go beyond our usual terms of phoneme and allophone.
Inside their groups all the respective sounds can be regarded allophonic but
each can have the status of a phoneme too.
One example: "līk" is "straight" or "equal". In attributive position it
becomes "lîk" (däi stróet is līk / däi lîk stróet).
On the other hand the sound _ī_ in "līk" can distinguish it from "lîk" which
means a "dead body".
An other: We have pairs like "rōd" / "rôd" (red) but we must distinguish
"kommōd" (comfortable) and "kommôd" (chest of drawers).

> > # In compounds long vowels or diphthongs are shortened.
> > Some examples: "twäj" = two, 2 / "tweidūsend" = two-thousand, 2000;
"bâl"
> =
> > ball / "fautbal" = football; "stäien" = stone / "stäingaud" =
earthenware.

> It's the same in other dialects.  However, I do not see this as a case of
> shortening but of lengthening: "In a syllable with primary stress, a vowel
> is lengthened before a sonorant."

The rule You quoted might be correct also in these cases but I see it as
shortening refering to the single word. A compound consists of two or more
words giving a new meaning and of course You can analyse it as an own entity
but I prefer to look on it watching the changes underwent by the single
words.

By the way: The number _2_ is "twäj", the compound _2000_ is tweidūsend but
"two people" also is : "twei lüü"

Kind regards
Holger