LL-L "Virus alert" 2003.08.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 19 17:37:52 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.AUG.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Virus alert

Folks,

There's another nasty virus out there.  I myself got tons of messages
contaning it, but I had the good sense to delete all them them unread.

Below is an excerpt from a message sent by our campus computer people.

Be careful out there!

Reinhard/Ron

***

Hello Everyone,

Apparently there is a new virus out there.  This is unrelated to the
problems fixed by our patching efforts and what you have been seeing on the
news.

This virus is a typical e-mail virus that spreads via attachments and social
engineering.  It appears to be a message from someone you know saying "Re:
That movie" or "Thank You!" and it has an attachment associated with it.

If you double-click on this attachment here is what will happen:

1. The virus will randomly grab several e-mail names from your address book
and place them in the "To:" line of a new message
2. The virus will grab another random e-mail address from your address book
and place it in the "From:" line of the message
3. It will then choose one of the following subjects:
 Your details
 Thank you!
 Re: Thank you!
 Re: Details
 Re: Re: My details
 Re: Approved
 Re: Your application
 Re: Wicked screensaver
 Re: That movie
4. And then it will copy itself into an attachment with one of the following
names:
 your_document.pif
 document_all.pif
 thank_you.pif
 your_details.pif
 details.pif
 document_9446.pif
 application.pif
 wicked_scr.scr
 movie0045.pif
5. It will send this message to all of the people it collected in step 1 and
it will APPEAR to have come from the person selected in step 2.

*** Since this e-mail spoofs the sender address, it is almost impossible to
track down who is infected with the virus, but you can rest assured that it
is probably NOT the person who appears to have sent the message ***

For more information, please visit McAfee's site (I took most of this
information from that site)

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100561

Consequently, if someone "sends" you this virus, do not reply to them, as
they are very unlikely to be the source of the message.