LL-L "Etymology" 2003.08.25 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 26 00:03:44 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: Language varieties

Dag ook, Leeg- un Lowlanners, Reinhard,

(English below)

vondoog kunn ick ’n lüttje Tucht Eeboors (UG: Störche), (E: white storks),
(D: Ooievaar) seih’n, opp jemme Tohaupkunft vöör jemme Flooug no de Süüd.

Door full mii opp: ick wüüs’ jemme Ingelten Noom’n ne mool.

Opp Hauchdüütsch (UG) heeit se “Weissstorch”, mann ook „Meister Adebar“.

Von „Adebar“, sau heff ick mii dacht, koomt woll ook „Eeboor“ aff. Fränkisch
or something else.

Mann- in Hollandsch heeit sei „Ooievaar“ (hööert sick’n lüüt beeten an as
*Adebar*), un door hett datt Fränkische jo woll ne sau veel tau sööken.

Is „Meister Adebar“ an ’n Innen sassisch?

***

English:

Today I could watch a small flight of „White Storks“ (UG: Storch),
assembling for their leaving us south-bound.

It came into my head, that I didn’t even know their English name.

Their Upper German name is “Weissstorch” (“white stork”) and also “Meister
Adebar”.

I thought, the Low-Saxon name “Eeboor” should derive from it. Frankish or
something else.

But- I found out their Dutch name to be “Ooievaar” (sounds a bit like
*Adebar*)- and I don’t think it to be Frankish any longer.

“Meister Adebar” at least is of Saxonian origin?

Greutens un’ best regards

Fiete.

(Friedrich W. Neumann)

Not Lucifer I fear