LL-L "Etymology" 2003.08.29 (12) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 29 23:58:09 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.AUG.2003 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.08.28 (02) [E/LS]

Reynhard/Ron,

Duu schreevst:

> "Basstölpel"
> Un nu myn vraag' an Dy: Wou heytt dey vagel in *use* spraak?
>
> Gröytens,
> Reinhard/Ron

Vöör  disse Froog wööer ick bang!

Kann' ck Dii amend ne seggen- dissen Voogel geef't /gifft dat alleein opp
Helgoland, un de Lüü door sünnt Freesen!

Dat iss'n "Hochseevogel" un hey brütt jümmer an piile "Felsenklippen". Door
hefft wii ne veel von in Düütschland- man- ook in Holland ne.

> "Gannet"
> And now my question to you: What is the bird called in *our* language?
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

I have been afraid for this question.

I am unable to find any LS name for it, because this bird is breeding just
at one place in Germ, and that is Helligoland. The natives there are of
Frisian origin.

It's a bird of the open sea and always breeding in steep cliffs. We do not
have many of them in Germany- but the same in the Netherlands.

Greutens/Regards

Fiete.