LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.08.30 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 31 00:25:25 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.AUG.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: dujardin denis <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.08.27 (02) [E]

Dear Michael,
Here is a text edited by 'Het Komitee voor Frans Vlaanderen' 16j.n°4 1990,
quoting a 16th century text which follows hereafter:
"Omme polichie en oordre te stellen opden seilaires vandem cloquemans vande
parochiekercken van deiser stede volghende tveetrechtende requeesten
ghepresenteert biden kerckmeesters zoo eyst dat min heeren mahieu ende
scepenen achter dat zy gehoort hebben  ide voors, cloquemans al ine langhe,
zo hebben de voors heeren gheordineert"
This is a flemish text describing the announcment of the fixing of the
salaries for those who ring the bells ("cloqueman") in the parish churches.
Sint-Omaars which lies on the border of Flanders and Artois, was Flemish
spoken up to the 18th century. The language itself was heard in the town up
to the middle of the 19th century and in the two northern suburbs of Lizel
and Hogebrigge (Haut-Pont) it was spoken up to the beginning of the 20th
century.
In this context it is worth mentionning that a big part of Artesia (Artois)
was flemish spoken, between 12th and 19th century - the language border
moving steadily to the north. Toponyms in the area all withness Germanic
background.
Next to Sint-Omaars, there is the village of Clairmarais, where up to 1980
there were still people speaking a beautifull archaic Flemish, which used
f.e . "Zoe" (pronounced. 'Z'U')  which seems to refer to Gothic, as the 3
pers.prn sing fem ('She'). I am not linguist but maybe some people can add
some interesting comment on this.
You can check the KFV's website on www.kfv-fransvlaanderen.org.

Denis Dujardin
Kortrijk