LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.12.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 4 16:39:51 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.DEC.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Language Varieties

Sam said:

"Lowlanders: I'll toss another coal on the fire.  There's a linguistic
school that maintains that IE developed from the Semitic, which resides in
the Afro-Asiatic family."

I know Ron, that you have already made an attempt to steer this discussion
back to the Lowlands, but I hope you will allow me to make a related, but
slightly more Lowlands-related observation. I was already aware of the
attempts of various linguists to connect these various language families
into macro-families, and I have myself made lists of the numerous possibly
related words that exist in Indo-European and Semitic. (In the case of some
of these, of course, we are dealing with borrowing and not common linguistic
ancestry; this may be the case with the Hebrew (and related Arabic) numerals
mentioned by Heiko).

However, the other day I began to think about the Dutch word _aarde_
(English _earth_, Old English was I think _eorth_ , German Erde, and so on.
These cognates seem almost non-existent outside Germanic (though there is a
Greek word which I can't quite recall), and yet they are strikingly similar
to Semitic forms like Arabic _arD_, and Hebrew _erets_, which have the same
meaning.

A single word seems too little a basis on which to posit a Semitic
substratum somewhere in Europe, but it is difficult to believe that this is
mere coincidence. Or am I wrong and are there other Indo-European cognates
which would mean that the word could be descended from
Proto-Indo-European-Semitic?

John Duckworth
Preston, UK.