LL-L "Delectables" 2003.12.04 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 4 17:16:36 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.DEC.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jim Krause <jpkrause at weblink2000.net>
Subject: Delectables

Luc and Lowlanders,
    I have never heard of "Sinterklaaskoeken" or "mantepeide."  My own
lolands ancestors make a sort of bread called "tweeback."  It was
traditionally served at an informal light meal served on Sunday afternoon
about 4 PM called "Faspa."  The custom was that you invited friends over
after church services in the afternoon for a visit and around 4 or so the
hostess would serve coffee, tea, cheese, maybe sausages, and tweeback.
     I still make these little dinner rolls for special occasions such as
festive holiday meals, and potluck meals at church.  Interestingly, the
recipe seems to be unknown in the Netherlands or Flanders where most of my
ancestors came from.  It leads me to believe that they may have developed
tweeback either while living in the Vistula Delta area, or in the Ukraine.

Jim Krause

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Jim!

_Tweeback_ (_tweybak_) is indeed known throughout Northern Germany, being
called _Zwieback_ in German, both words connoting "twice baked."  This
version is also known in the Netherlandic regions as _beschuit_, in
Afrikaans as _beskuit_, in Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects also
_Beschüüt_ (_beschüyt_), from French _biscuit_ (> English and Scots
"biscuit"*).  In LS _Beschüüt_ (_beschüyt_) also refers to the dreaded "hard
tack" eaten by seafarers in the olden days.   The English equivalents of
these is otherwise "rusk (bread)."

(*For those of you who are not aware of this already, let me add that the
non-American meaning of "biscuit," or childish "bickie," is what in American
English is "cookie," and American English "biscuit" denotes a buttery,
fluffy, usually unsweetened, affair, typically eaten freshly baked with
gravy.)

With regard to Mennonite _Tweeback_ (which is what you seem to be talking
about), they seem to be totally different creatures.  Note this:

<quote>

Zwieback baking has been a part of Saturday's routine in Mennonite kitchens
since West Prussian days. (This baking may even reach back to the
Netherlands.) For readers unfamiliar, Zwieback are buttery-rich double buns,
one atop the other, baked by the dozens for every Sunday Faspa, holiday,
wedding feast and funeral meal. Ulrich Tolksdorf notes that earlier, funeral
Zwieback were dainty, the size of a pocket watch.

Some ask whether Zwieback or Tweeback (Low German) mean double buns, one
atop the other. Not so, says our authority Dr. Tolksdorf. "Tweybacken means
white bread, twice baked"12 (baked and toasted later). Zwieback were popular
ship's fare in the 17th century. Danzig bakers made "large Zwieback" and
sold them as Schiffs Brot (ship's bread) to ships docked in  the Danzig
harbor.This toasted bread didn't get stale, mold or mildew. Mennonite
families, fleeing Russia for North America after the Revolution, baked large
wicker hampers with Reeschkjes, (low German for toasted Zwieback), which
often lasted the entire voyage. Once again they became Schiffs Brot,
sustaining these families on their long trek to a new homeland.
</quote>

http://www.fresno.edu/affiliation/cmhs/bulletin/dec99/kitchen.htm

Your Plautdietsch word _Faspa_ has the German cognate _Vesper_ and the
English cognate "vespers."  In Northern Germany, (Latin _vesper_ >) _Vesper_
is only used in religious contexts (meaning "evening church service"), as is
English "vespers" (~ "evensong").  In South German dialects, _Vesper_ may
also be used denote any evening meal.

Gode Optiet!