LL-L "Etymology" 2003.12.09 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 10 00:38:57 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.DEC.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.12.09 (07) [D/E]

I didn't really follow the thread, but just wanted to mention that
smöydig is smidig in Danish. And that eng. "host" is "værte" if that
gives any ideas.

Cheers, Kenneth

----------

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.12.09 (05) [E]

>>From wim verdoold  wkv at home.nl

Hi ,

 ouwel is  what the Romans eat in church.

Smeuig is  what  butter should be if  you want to be able  to put it on
your bread..   not  to  dry  or  to  hard.

Wim.

http://members.home.nl/wim.sonjaverdoold/merry_christmas.html

From: Philip Ernest Barber <pbarber at loc.gov>

Rice can't be used for the Host in the Catholic Mass (or in Lutheran or Angl
ican, etc Eucharist., for that matter); only wheat.