LL-L "Etymology" 2003.12.09 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 10 20:49:57 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.DEC.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.12.09 (07) [D/E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Gustaaf (above):
>
>> That seems correct.  Smeuig means 'easy to spread', used for food
>> items such as peanut butter or pate.  It is also used in a figurative
>> sense which I find hard to translate: 'een smeuig verhaal' is a story
>> made interesting by adding or stressing gory or explicit details.
>
> That makes sense to me, considering that _smöydig_ seems to have
> originated
> as _smydig_ (cf. Dutch _smijdig_, Afrikaans _smydig_, German
> _geschmeidig_,
> English _smooth_) and as _smöydig_ specifically can describe pretty
> much
> anything that "hits the spot," anything that gives relief or pleasure
> Well, perhaps not *any*thing ... I take it you get the drift.

Hi,
In West-Flanders we have  the words...
smeedzaam / smeedbaar = smeuïg (E: easy to spread)
smeuzen / smoezen = tot moes pletten
smood / smoot = gelijk, effen, glad (E: smooth)
smout = reuzel (E:smooth melted grease you can spread on bread)
smouten = smeren (E: to spread)

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: jean-luc.detilleux at skynet.be <jean-luc.detilleux at skynet.be>
Subject: Etymology

Hello, Lowlanders,

Having laid hands on my faithful etymological dictionary (Dr. J. de Vries,
Etymologisch Woordenboek, Aula/Het Spectrum, 1976), I can mention that the
word ouwel appears to originate in the Latin word oblata (offering,
referring to the preparation of hosts), but that there may have been a clash
with from n?/niewele.

You were right, Ron. Smeuig is indeed related to smijdig, and also to the
English smooth, from the word *smanth meaning cream. An alternative origin
could be traced to *smudhi, which resulted in modder and smodderen in
modezrn Dutch.

Greetings from Wallonia, and merry Christmas eveybody!

Jean-Luc Detilleux

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks a lot to our two Belgian friends Luc and Jean-Luc for the information
above.  Very interesting.  As usual in etymology, one thing leads to at
least one other thing ...

Luc:

> smout = reuzel (E:smooth melted grease you can spread on bread)
> smouten = smeren (E: to spread)

I assume that _smout_ comes from _smolt_ (cf. _oud_ < _old_ 'old', _goud_ <
_gold_ 'gold', _Wouter_ < _Wolter_ 'Walter', etc., cf. LS _old_, _gold_ ~
_guld_ and _Wolter_ respectively), which is related to Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) _smolt_ ~ _smult_ and German _Schmalz_ 'lard'.  _Smoulten_ (also LS
_smolten_ ~ _smulten_) is a derivation, originally meaning 'to cover with
lard'.

I assume that this is related to both "smelt" and "melt" (LS _smelten_ ~
_milten_ and _melten_ ~ _milten_).

> You were right, Ron. Smeuig is indeed related to smijdig, and also to the
English
> smooth, from the word *smanth meaning cream.

This *_smanth_ is interesting in that it seems to coincide with _smand_ and
_Schmand_ '(heavy) cream' in some Lowlands Saxon and German dialect
(elsewhere _raam_ and _Rahm_ respectively).

By the way, English "smooth" (< smōþi) has the now little-known alternative
"smeeth," which comes from Old English _smǣðe_ ~ _smēðe_, which ought to be
assumed related to LS _smydig_ ~ _smöydig_ as well as with _smyden_,
likewise Dutch _smijdig_.  Might it be related to words for "to smith"
(e.g., LS _smeden_, Dutch _smeden_) as well?

Thanks again.