LL-L "Mennonite matters" 2003.12.16 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 16 18:47:56 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.DEC.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Malcolm Shackelford <wmshackelfordii at lycos.com>
Subject: Language Varieties

   I have a little trivia to add to the discussion of Plautdietsch.  A year
or so ago I went to visit the National POW Museum in Andersonville, Georgia,
which was also the site of an infamous Confederate prison camp.  My buddy
suggested that we go to this restaurant called Yoder's before heading home.
Little did I know that Yoder's was Mennonite restaurant and that the
employees spoke Plautdietsch to each other.  Soon I noticed the Yoder name
all over southwest Georgia.  As well as the restaurant they own a bakery, a
dairy, a woodworking business, and who knows what else.  And especially fun
(in an academic way) is their bookstore, which sells books printed in both
English and Plautdietsch.  So the Lowlands are alive and well in southern
Georgia.
   Now I have a question or two:
1.  How common is the name Yoder (Joder?)?
2.  What is the relationship between Mennonites and Hutterites?
   Thanks everyone.
Malcolm Shackelford

---
Malcolm Shackelford
Greensboro, NC

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Mennonite matters

Thanks, Malcolm.  As far as I can tell, the name Yoder is quite common in
the United States, and it has always intrigued me.

I leave better educated responses to those who know better than I, but let
me recommend to you and others with a genuine interest a basic introductory
work by one of our veteran list members:

   Epp, Reuben (1993)
   The Story of Low German & Plautdietsch: tracing a language across the
globe
   Hillsboro (USA): The Reader's Press <psdirect at southwind.net>.

It's a must-read for anyone interested in Plautdietsch and secular Mennonite
matters as well as in the history and spread of the Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) language in general.

You can find other works on LS listed in our special offline guide:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=offline_nds