LL-L "Mennonite matters" 2003.12.16 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 16 21:03:28 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.DEC.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: WALTERG580 at aol.com <WALTERG580 at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Mennonite matters" 2003.12.16 (01) [E]

I Have been receiving posts for some time, but have not posted before now.
By way of introduction, my name is Walter Gamble, from rural Oklahoma,
originally from Waynoka, Oklahoma, now living in Enid. I respond concerning
Mennonite matters, due to the large Mennonite community in Northern
Oklahoma, in the 70 miles seperaring Waynoka and Enid there are large
Mennonite enclaves, especially in and around the towns of Meno, Carrier, and
Goultry.
My family comes out of a Brethern tradition, and has maintained parts of the
traditional Plautdeutsch, which was the factor that led me to the Lowlands_L
list.
I attempt at times to find the older members of the communities here abouts,
to hear them speak Plautdeutsch, and hopefull perserve some of thier
dialects. amazingly with the Hoch Deutsch i picked up in College, and having
tried to listen to the elders, in the area, I am able to follow much of what
is said..
As a point of interest the Hutterites share much with the Mennonites, both
coming out of the Anabaptist movement, but the Hutterites are far more
communal, in polity, almost on a par with the Amish.
Walter Gamble

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Mennonite matters

Walter Gamble wrote (above):

> I Have been receiving posts for some time, but have not posted before now.

Thanks for the interesting information, and welcome!  I am happy you joined
us and cared enough to take this extra step.  It is much appreciated, no
doubt not only by me.

Friendly regards,

Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L