LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.01.31 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 1 00:49:25 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.JAN.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

恭喜發財! 新年快樂! 新年快乐!

Happy Chinese New Year and a prosperous Ovine Year to all of you!

This is my first administrative message of 2003.  This January we have been
joined by a number of people.  Welcome to them!  As a postscript I will add
their places of residence.

Please bear in mind that not all of them may still be with us.  Some people
just try the List for a day or a week and then bail out.

There are indications that some people just will not read the "fine" print,
no matter how large and how simple we make it.  As I mentioned recently,
they skip through the information and then fill in the blanks with their
wishful thinking.  For instance, we make it abundantly clear that this forum
does not offer actual language teaching, but then I would find in
applicants' statements of purpose things like "to take your Dutch course."
Also, we make it clear that we will not subscribe Hotmail accounts (because
99% of them are trouble), and then I find an application from a Hotmail
account about every other day ...  In my estimation, this "revolving door
action" accounts for an average of 2-5% of the subscriber number, rarely
above that.

I ask everyone, not only our new subscribers, to check out our rules and
guidelines (http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm).  While they have not
changed, some points have been clarified.  Also, there is now a German
version.

Please note that LL-L messages are sent to you in Unicode UTF-8 encoding.
For all symbols to be displayed properly, you need to switch your email
display to Unicode UTF-8 using a Unicode font (e.g., Arial Unicode).  If you
do not want to do that, you can read messages in the archives
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html) which are
automatically switched to Unicode UTF-8 viewing mode (as the standard of our
host LINGUIST).

We could still use some volunteer help with our project Lowlands Talk.  If
you wish to know exactly what we need help with, all you need to do is check
out the site and look for whatever is incomplete
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/).  Again I would like to thank everyone who
so far has participated in the project.  They are listed at the site.

Thanks for gracing Lowlands-L with your presence, "talkers" and "lurkers"
alike!

***

New subscriptions January 1-31, 2003:

     Belgium: