LL-L "Resources" 2003.01.31 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 1 00:53:44 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.JAN.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Resouces

I added some language pages to my site
(warning for who has a slow connection: all pages contain scanned maps),
but I have also some questions.

I added excerpts from an exposé about West-Flemish by Pée (with maps)
with some details about:
- the difference between West- en East Flemish
- the similarity with Zeeuws
- the subdivisions of West-Flemish.

Since it is about phonology I had to include some special characters.
My question is: how does one proceed in html with:
- old germanic vowels with a flat horizontal bar above
- old germanic vowels with a part of a circel (opened to the top) above?
Thanks for your suggestions.

I solved it stupidly by including some small scanned images.
The page is at url:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/%7Etpm09245/lang/lg/wv/peewv.htm

Further I aded an administrative map, with listed municipalities as in 1873,
of the Flemish speaking part of France (arrondissements Dunkerque &
Hazebrouck).
The page is at URL:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/%7Etpm09245/lang/lg/fra/arron.htm

Since De Bo includes also some municipalities from Pas-de-Calais in his
maps, I also made a similar page with an administrative map for the
arrondissement Saint-Omer.
The page is at URL:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/%7Etpm09245/lang/lg/fra/arrst.htm

When one looks at the names of the municipalities of this arrondissement:
they are almost all germanic, though this area is romanized in the middle
ages.

It includes saxon names as:
with thun:  Landrethun, Audincthun
with gatte:  Guinegatte,
with wick:  Salperwick

My question is: while the language border remained quite "stable" in Belgium
(exception made for the Brussels "expanding stain" in the 20th century),
this area, with predominantly germanic names, appears to have behaved
otherwise:
why did the original language decline so rapidly at a time goverments were
not regulating usage of language for ordinary people?

Did the Franconians better resist to romanization than the Saxons did?

Regards,

Roger