LL-L "Etymology" 2003.02.03 (04) [E/Portuguese]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 3 21:49:37 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.FEB.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.02.03 (02) [A/E]

10:50 3-2-2003 -0800, Lowlands-L:
From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>:
>[...]
> I do not
>know _grimazo_ in Modern Spanish, but I do know _grima_ 'uneasiness',
>'displeasure', 'disgust', and, as you mentioned, the Portuguese
equivalent.
>I also wonder if there is a connection between this Romance word
group and
>Germanic *_grim(m-a-z)_ 'severe', 'merciless', 'stern', 'scary',
'fearsome',
>'fearful'.

I seems such a connexion exists, in that the Romance words are loans
from Gothic. The Porto Editora Portuguese dictionary gives:
grima = raiva; ódio; antipatia (Do gót. *grimms, "cólera"; "fúria")

My translation of that entry:
grima = anger; hate; antipathy (From Gothic *grimms, "anger", "fury")

FWIW, the asterisk in front of "grimms" means "forma hypotética", or
in my words "unattested, but reconstructed form".
--
http://rudhar.com

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Ruud.  That explains a lot.

> FWIW, the asterisk in front of "grimms" means "forma hypotética", or
> in my words "unattested, but reconstructed form".

FYI, "hypothetical form" is used in English as well, alternatively to
"unattested form" or "reconstructed form."  (In syntax, the asterisk
basically denotes the same but is often referred to as signalling
"ungrammatical (construction)," because hypothetically the construction
ought to be possible, i.e., follows the rules, but it can not be verified as
grammatical.)

Cheers!