LL-L "Afrikaans" 2003.02.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 4 15:29:04 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: ezinsser at worldonline.co.za <ezinsser at worldonline.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.02.03 (02) [A/E]

Dag almal,

Reynaldo Pimentel Damy Castro <rdamycastro at uol.com.br> wrote:

>> Elsie, this looks quite similar to Portuguese, not the words themselves,
but the
meaning of the sentences, as they sound rather offensive: ) ('Hy is 'n hond
/ Sy is 'n
koei/teef)would be more often used in Portuguese [colloquial/vulgar]

Yes, those are offensive and not used in public. I think such forms are used
in every
language, though.

>> I've heard that Afrikaans has been influenced mostly by English and Dutch
and a bit of
Portuguese (?) as well. Does that make sense?

Afrikaans was established before English had any influence on the language,
and even that
is negligible in terms of grammar, structure, and lexicon.

The Portuguese frequented the Cape of Good Hope before 1652 when the Dutch
arrived,
whereas the British Settlers arrived here after 1820. It might also interest
you that more
Dutch than English immigrants arrived during 1820, although the British
already annexed
the Cape in 1806.

What is perceived as English influences, is:
- Incorrect language usage (Anglicisms  for example:
*Ons hardloop laat  from We are running late. Correct: Ons is laat.
*Wat is die tyd  from What is the time. Correct: Hoe laat is dit.
- Loan words from Dutch and French originating from Latin.

Established influences are: 'Haai' from 'Hi' and 'Baai' from 'Bye'.

An English form that the under-30's use quite frequently is:
Remark: Sy lyk pragtig in daardie rok.
Confirmation: Sy doen (Argggh :-) (from English It/She does)
Correct: - Ja, sy lyk pragtig.

AND Ron said:

>>I wonder if, besides Afrikaans-Portuguese contacts in Africa, there were
already some
Portuguese influences in Dutch, specific to the Netherlands' large
cities[...]

I am not sure whether the Portuguese Jews (not only a minority but probably
also very
marginalized) had such a great influence on Dutch. The Portuguese influence
on Afrikaans
is small and then only in terms of the lexicon. A few words originating from
Portuguese
are 'appelkoos', 'sambreel', 'pikkewyn'.

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser