LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.02.06 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 6 21:58:47 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.FEB.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: corber <corber at shaw.ca>
Subject: dialect drift

I have noticed quite a bit of snobbery among LS Plautdietch speakers, and
wander if that is the case in any other dialects. The people that left the
Ukraine mennonite villages after the revolution in 1920' spoke with a
slightly different dialect than my grandparents  who had left there in 1875
.Those that came to Canada after WW2 spoke a slightly different dialect
again.,even though they all came from my grandparent's village.. Most
dialects drift or evolve, effected by their neighbouring language or dialect
and it is harder to keep dialects alive.We can thank modern communications
for the "blending"that we see.  Cor Bergen