LL-L "Lexical usage" 2003.02.06 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 6 22:00:05 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.FEB.2003 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Lexical usage"

> From: John M. Tait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexical usage" 2003.02.05 (04) [E]
>
> Actually, 'wather' is Scots (or, at least, one Scots form) for English
> 'weather'. 'Water' in Scots is 'watter', the doubled 'tt' showing that it
> rhymes with English 'latter' or 'batter' - ie, it doesn't have the 'aw'
> sound of the first 'a' in English 'water' (I don't know if any of the
> dialects that tend to merge 'a' and 'aw' have the same
> pronunciation as the
> English.)

They do, in fact - or at least they do in my dialect.

Thus we have "watter", "lang", "alang", "sang" &c with
coincidentally the same pronunciation as in Scottish
English.

Significantly we use the closed "o" in "strang", which
I would therefore write "strong", at least if I was in
the mood for writing my own dialect. rather than more
general Scots. In fact this is supported by some of my
reading in Scots, where writers who write "lang", "alang"
&c still write "strong".

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/