LL-L "Identity" 2003.02.07 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 7 16:09:10 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.FEB.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.02.06 (03) [E]

Hi, Ted,

You wrote (amongst):

> From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.02.05 (08) [E]

> .....I like it that the people just on the other side of
> the Dutch border -the plattdeutsch people- always stay
> friendly and smiling in whatever way they are adressed
> to. Even when I call them Dutch or German or Platt or
> Real Saxonians or Prussians, they go on smiling and
> say: Prosit.....
>
> vr. gr. Theo Homan

Why shouldn't we stay friendly? There is no doubt around to be members of
Germany, and EU, at least!
We had to and did learn our lesson! You can find a minimized German national
and cultural identification, to find between the Alpes in South and the
Danish boarder at North.

Each member of this community has to respect and regard the other ones as to
be of the same worth (UG) "gleichwertig", though there are, in langualistic
aspects, some "well accepted" and "minor accepted" dialects.

All of us- in the German language family- do respect this, and we are used
to get clear with it.
It's a bit similar to US- we are tolerating, specially since the times of
the German re-union!

But- we still are open for EU-ideas, hopeful  to be handled in our "own",
very special tribal minorities with even more respect than national
"artefacta" did in the past.

I, myself, don't want to be a "Niedersachse" at all (it's an artificial
definition), but want to be a German, and, at least, member of European and
Saxonian traditions.

Regards

Fiete.