LL-L "Phonology" 2003.02.03 (08) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 8 21:38:45 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Subject:  "Phonology"

Hello all !
Once again I considered the facts having been discussed around the Afrikaans
word _Appelkkos_ (apricot) which in Eastern Friesland Low Saxon is spoken
_apperkôs_ as I told.
I cannot decide on the Afrikaans word being a phonological adaptation or an
etymological misinterpretation linking this kind of fruit with apples but in
EFLS there is no feeling of any link between _apperkôs_ and _appel_. It is
obviously a matter of phonology but I couldn't find out yet what it really
is. EFLS speakers have no problem with the word _Aprikose_ when speaking
German but if they speak EFLS in traditional style it is impossible to
pronounce such a word (to explain "traditional style": nowadays EFLS is
highly contamined with German and many speakers won't change loans due to
phonetical rules any more).
The problem seems to originate somewhere in the clusters _pr_ or _pri_.
Initial _pr_ or _pri_ occurs in EFLS words but possibly _pr_ inside a word
must be divided by a linking vowel.
We might get the impression that it is a general problem of _consonant + ri_
if we compare the adverbial endings in German and EFLS  (G)_rig or _rich /
(EFLS) _erğ .
examples: (G) schläfrig, (EFLS) slóperğ; (G) klapprig, (EFLS) klapperğ
(but also with other consonants: klatterğ; sludderğ; stakkerğ; krullerğ
etc.)
But we have other words like (the town of) Aurich (EFLS: Auerk) or (G) Essig
(EFLS: ēterğ) and many more which can make us believe that it has to do with
_rig_ (or _rich_ and _rik_) instead of the former discussed _pri_.
I do not recognize any solution yet but possibly someone can help or give
examples from other lowlands languages which can help to explain the
mechanism in question.
Kind regards
Holger