LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.08 (02) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 8 21:42:52 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.FEB.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: John M. Tait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject:  LL-L "Phonology" 2003.02.07 (13) [E]

Sandy wrote:

>If it's that widespread perhaps it means that 'strong' is
>the better spelling in Scots. Certainly I've noticed, as
>I think I said, that this word is written 'strong' by
>various traditional writers who otherwise write 'sang' &c.

This would seem to be a good point. However, it is unlikely to carry much
weight with Scots writers at large, who are likely to fall into the two
camps of 'purist' (strang, alang) and 'street' (strong, along). Some may
even do it the wrong way round (strang, along) - I have seen some writers
who use a lot of what I call modern colloquial forms (eg: 'taen' and 'seen'
as preterites) also using forms which as far as I know are obsolete, such as
'anely' or 'alanerly' (of course, this could be /O/ being perceived as /A/,
but I dout whether the writers who do this would make that connection). This
creates what I call 'registerless' Scots. (Aften gangs alang wi
leet-lowpin! - see 'But 'n Ben...'). Any attempt to say that 'strong' and
'lang' were the 'best' forms would be derided as prescriptionism (thare bein
nae sic thing as guid, lat alane best) and if you said that 'strong' and
'strang' were equally good but 'lang' and 'alang' better than 'long' and
'along' you might as well be talking about Quantum physics - because the
field of reference (traditional usage, as expressed in existing traditional
dialects and traditional literature - some of it distilled into a handy form
by Lorimer) is not recognised as any more viable than an arbitrary mixture
of traditional, modern colloquial, English and obsolete forms.

>The only context in which I've heard 'Strang' is as a
>surname. This reminds me of something I've always wondered
>about - in Muriel Sparks' Edinburgh-based English-language
>novel "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", one of the characters
>(an Edinburgh girl with a Scottish father and English mother)
>is called 'Sandy Stranger' - is this meant to be pronounced
>/'stre:ndZ at r/ or /'stra:N at r/?

Your guess...

>Anent the closed versus open short 'o' and stress patterns
>in Scots, a pronunciation I haven't been able to establish
>(the SND is really useless for this sort of thing, at least
>on a word-by-word basis) is that of 'nottice' for 'notice'.
>This is a spelling used by some traditional Scots writers but
>I don't know what they're trying to indicate by it. Are they
>trying to indicate that this is a short 'o', or that the
>stress is on the second syllable? My guess is that it's a
>short 'o' - what I'd like to know is, is 'notice' pronounced
>with the 'o' open in dialects where short 'o's are pronounced
>open or is it pronounced as in English? If the 'o' were open
>in those dialects then I'd know that 'nottice' really is the
>better spelling for this word in Scots.

This is curious. In Shetlandic the pronunciation is ["nOtis], but as
Shetlandic - in contrast to Central Scots - often substitutes [O] for [o]
even in English cognate words (eg: coat as 'cot', road as 'rod') I have
always just assumed that this was a Shetlandism. I presume that your
references come from traditional and not 'enthusiast' Scots - it's not
unknown for Scots writers to put Shetland forms in willy-nilly just because
they happen to be different from the English forms, even though they might
contradict normal Scots phonology.

John M. Tait.

http://www.wirhoose.co.uk