LL-L "Transliteration" 2003.02.16 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 16 18:41:01 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Transliteration" 2003.02.15 (12) [E]

18:12 15-2-2003 -0800, Lowlands-L:
>Actually, the letter _teth_ (×~) ought to be transliterated as
something like
>_ŧeth_, symbolizing a glottalized /t/, thus being related to
Arabic _ŧâ_
>(Ø·).

I think in Arabic, it's velarization and/or pharyngalization rather
than glottalization. Velarisation is a raising of the back of the
tongue, pharyngalization is a raising of the larynx (Dutch:
strottehoofd), which results in a kind of squeezing of the throat.
These Arabic consonants are also referred to as "emphatic".
I don't know how this relates to the old or eastern pronunciation of
Hebrew. I suppose we may never know this in detail, because the only
people who still have this type of Hebrew as their native language
have probably undergone influence from neighbouring Arabic, so if
ancient Hebrew was ever different in this respect, the difference
might have been lost.

--
http://rudhar.com