LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.02.16 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 16 21:59:02 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.FEB.2003 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Lowlanders,

To most of you who know me fairly well it is no secret that, when I watch
television, I, who live just south of the border between Washington State
and British Columbia, tend to prefer, on the whole, Canadian stations to
U.S. ones, especially on Sundays when slower-paced, in-depth, reflective
documentaries tend to be shown on CBC (due to Canadian content
requirements?), many of which offer wonderful glimpses into Canadian life
and history and also offer the language buff opportunities to "study"
various Canadian "accents."  (Now this was a relapse to writing long-winded
sentences _à l'européenne_, wasn't it?)

Today's program in the Sunday series "Land & Sea"
(http://www.stjohns.cbc.ca/landsea/ with video!) portrayed a man of
Springdale, Newfoundland, whose family has lived there for generations.
There is much narration by him, which offers an excellent opportunity to
listen for special features of his dialect.  His "accent" sounds very
different from both the predominant Canadian ones and from those of nearby
New England south of the border.  To me it sounds rather like a mix of Irish
and West Coast England and Scotland dialects, especially the vowels and
diphthongs; e.g., "I" [ʔɒɪ] (SAMPA [?QI]), "out" [ʔɒɯt] (SAMPA [?QWt]),
"are" [ʔ˔aɽ] (SAMPA [?_ar`]).*   Is this observation consistent with the
European settlement history of the region?

* SAMPA phonetic notation: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/