LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.02.17 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 17 18:12:23 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brad Kirbyson <bkirbyson at mail.com>
Subject: (No subject)

"Today's program in the Sunday series "Land & Sea"
(http://www.stjohns.cbc.ca/landsea/ with video!) portrayed a man of
Springdale, Newfoundland, whose family has lived there for generations.
There is much narration by him, which offers an excellent opportunity to
listen for special features of his dialect.  His "accent"  sounds very
different from both the predominant Canadian ones and from those of
nearby New England south of the border.  To me it ounds rather like a mix of
Irish and West Coast England and Scotland dialects..."

Ron, I must emerge from my "lurker" status to concur with your analysis of
the Newfoundland speaker in the program.  As a native speaker of "Canadian"
English, I've always thought of Canadian English as being quite uniform
through most of the country (possibly due to the long winters spent watching
the same programs on the CBC!), although Eastern Canadians in general and
Newfoundlanders in particular have a noticeable accent to our ears as well.
I believe that the accent there is due both to settlement patterns and some
historical developments.  I'll offer just a couple of thoughts on possible
reasons for this from my vantage point in western Canada.  (I'm sure my
countrymen and women in the east can do it far more justice.)

Newfoundland only joined Canada in 1949, prior to that it was a British
overseas territory completely separate from Canada.  I suspect that
settlement was mostly from Ireland (North & South), England & Scotland, as
was the case - for the most part - in all the English-speaking areas of
Canada until relatively recently.  In the case of of Canada's Maritime
provinces (the other 3 provinces on the Atlantic), they were settled and
well-established prior to Canadian Confederation (or independence) and no
doubt had many established language characteristics that continue to this
day, even if watered down a bit after more than 130 years with the rest of
us!

My compliments on a interesting and well-run list, that has really
stimulated my interest in the other lowlands languages.  Keep up the
excellent work!

Brad Kirbyson
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

P.S.: Ron, as you know, this is my first posting.  Let me know if I did it
incorrectly.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hey, Brad!

Welcome to the List, and welcome to the voluntarily unlurked!  It's great to
have you and to know you are enjoying what we have going here.

Thanks also for your interesting input.  I didn't know that Newfoundland
joined Canada that late.  I suppose that explains quite a bit.

You did great.  If next time you give a subject line (the one that the
thread came with) and quote the person you cite (in this case yours truly),
I'll count you among the old hands.

Keep it up, and keep warm up there in frigid Winnipeg!

Cheers!