LL-L "Language learning" 2003.02.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 17 18:16:41 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.FEB.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Alannah Stepa <astepa at shaw.ca>
Subject: Language Learning

>From Alannah Sheriland astepa at shaw.ca

I learned to speak Dutch in a situation that very different from most of the
other replies. I was offered a job in a small town close to Rotterdam, which
I accepted. I had no language skills other than high school French. My work,
in an OR, was not dependent on my verbal skills but on professional
techniques.

A couple of people on staff spoke English but, for the most part, I had to
learn the language by listening, looking and imitation. There were no
grammatical explanations and my reading and writing skills limited, at
first, to the requirements of my job.

Being submerged in the language gave me a different perspective on learning
a language than my classroom experience. In a classroom I learned to
"translate" living a country with a new language you cannot do that, it
simply is not possible. I learned "street talk" not the formalized classroom
language.
In part, Dutch was easy to learn because many of the words have the same
meaning in English and French was integrated with Dutch freely; sometimes
used in preference to Dutch, for example "qui" was the accepted way of
saying "yes" and a bag (purse) was tasje, an umbrella, parapluie, however I
could not translate some of the more "Germanic" phrases because I had no
real comprehension of what I was hearing.
I could write them phonetically and read them but I could not spell them in
Dutch.(reading and writing are not the same) By observation I figured out
what a rough translation was and when to use that phrase. I did not find the
sentence construction difficult as I was learning it by imitation not by
theory.

When I went to most other parts of Holland my dialect was understood,
however when I went to Antwerp I could have been speaking another language.
I also had problems when I went to Den Hagh.

Two incidents indicated my success of learning the language, the first when
I woke and realized that I had been dreaming in Dutch and the second when an
English friend visited and I had problems translating into English.

In Dutch the general rule is that you walk "in' a street, however in reality
there this rule changes when you must walk "on" it, this is when the street
is a dijk as one cannot walk in a dijk.

I had problems with the "ui" sound, as in huis, and never did master it and
I know some of the other more subtle pronunciations where incorrect. The
Dutch did not care, I was trying to speak their language and to that to them
was the most important thing, mispronunciations were secondary.

Alannah
astepa at shaw.ca